Marcelo Allende cagey over Mamelodi Sundowns future
Interview
Mamelodi Sundowns midfielder Marcelo Allende was cagey when pressed about his future at Chloorkop after intense speculation linked him with a move away from the club in the off-season.
The 27-year-old midfield maestro is in the final year of his deal with the African champions, having joined the team in July 2022 in a deal worth in the region of €2, 900 000 (R54 million).
He has made 177 appearances across all competitions to date with 16 goals and as many assists for Sundowns, winning six trophies, including three league titles, the African Football League (AFL) and the CAF Champions League.
Quizzed about his expiring contract, the diminutive Chilean refrained from delving deep into the matter, instead stating he is firmly focused on the task at hand in what could be his final season.
“I am 100% focused on my last year at the club, I haven't spoken to anyone [about a new deal], but as I said I'm really focused. If I need to play I will always give my 100%, and if not I will support my team.” said Allende.
"I think the most important thing is always the result and bringing good things to the club.
With the 2026/27 campaign gathering steam, Allende has backed the club's new recruits to play a major role and help Sundowns achieve their targets as they are set to compete on all fronts this term.
“I think all the players that arrived are doing very well. Antonio [van Wyk], [Siyanda] Ndlovu, and Cassius [Mailula] came here for something because they have the quality and they've shown it in every training session,” he added.
"I think they will help us a lot during the season because each one of them has special qualities, so I think we are so happy to have them in our team and I think they will help us a lot.
Sundowns will be looking to end their domestic cup title drought ahead of the first leg of their MTN8 semi-final clash against Golden Arrows at Lucas Moripe Stadium on Sunday afternoon.