Crystal Palace: Pierre Sage wants to keep Ismaila Sarr
The absence of Ismaila Sarr during the 2-0 defeat to Everton sparked plenty of reactions. In the post-match press conference after this Premier League season opener, Pierre Sage was keen to clarify his striker’s situation.
The manager said: “He’s out because he’s feeling pain in his thigh. Yesterday, after consulting with the doctor, we decided that he would follow a treatment plan and train individually. He’ll be back with us on Monday.”
He also admitted to his mistake after previously announcing Sarr would feature. “I said the opposite because the information at the time was positive, but in the end, we decided he should rest and receive treatment.”
An essential pillar, both wanted and protected
At 28, the Senegal international is coming off a sensational season. He won the UEFA Europa Conference League, finished as top scorer with 9 goals, played 43 matches and netted 21 goals across all competitions for the club. With the Teranga Lions, he boasts 87 international caps and 23 goals. He also shone at the World Cup with 4 goals and an assist in 5 matches. All this has attracted the attention of Europe’s big clubs, including Liverpool and Galatasaray.
On this matter, Pierre Sage was crystal clear and firm. “Right now, we don’t want him to leave. He’s under contract with us for another three years and he’ll be here on Monday, that’s the most important information.”
A happy player in London
The manager has no doubts about his striker’s morale. “You can ask him if he’s happy at Crystal Palace. I believe he is, because he’s won a lot of trophies with us.”
Tied to the club until 2029, the former Marseille star remains a vital pillar for the Eagles. The London club is determined to rely on him as they push forward in the Premier League.